It was a much more competitive match than the teams' first meeting, but the result was the same as Susquehannock defeated Biglerville, 2-1, in quarterfinal action of the YAIAA boys' soccer tournament at a sun-drenched Warrior Stadium Saturday afternoon in Gettysburg.

Susquehannock (15-1-1) completely dominated the Sept. 24 regular-season matchup, a game where the Warriors defeated the Canners, 4-0.

"We had a better mindset coming into the match today, and we played much better than the first time we faced these guys," Biglerville head coach Jebb Nelson said. "We changed a few things and that got us a goal. Unfortunately, we didn't keep pushing after that first goal and settled back too much."

Biglerville (16-2-1) fired the opening salvo less than three minutes into the match when Elijah Garcia set up Christian Saldivar's goal with 37:05 remaining in the first half.

That goal seemed to serve as a wake-up call for Susquehannock as the Warriors grabbed control and started to hunt for the equalizer.

Zach Buchanan saw an excellent chance carom off the left post before being cleared away by a Biglerville defender with 16:13 to play in the first half, then Adam Rebich was denied with less than a minute to play in the first half. The Warriors had numerous other chances in the half that didn't yield a goal, either.

The Canners appeared headed for halftime with a lead, but then Joseph Lippy scored off an assist from Lucas Miller with 9.7 seconds to go until the break. Miller played a cross from right to center, and Lippy then fired his shot to the right side of the net.

"That was the worst time possible for us to give up a goal," Nelson said. "It really shifted the momentum in their favor right before halftime."

Susky head coach Brett Maxwell said: "It changes the way you play in the second half. If we don't score there, they might've been able to sit back a little and make us force the action trying to tie the match. Instead, they had to try to get another goal."

The Warriors controlled play for much of the second half and took the lead on Colton Mumley's header on a cross from Buchanan with 27:09 left to play. Buchanan played a ball from left to center, and Mumley went top shelf with the header to beat Canners keeper Noah Mattson.

"It wasn't our typical start today, and they had the momentum early," Maxwell said. "It wasn't our best effort, either. But we did what we had to do to win the match."

Susquehannock _1_1 - _2

Biglerville _1_0 - _1

First Half - 1. Big, Christian Saldivar (Elijah Garcia), 37:05. 2. Sus, Joseph Lippy (Lucas Miller), :09.7.

Second Half - 3. Sus, Colton Mumley (Zach Buchanan), 27:09.

Shots on Goal - Sus 7; Big 2

Corners - Sus 6; Big 5

Goalies - Sus, Aaron Bilbie (1 save); Big, Noah Mattson (5 saves)

Read or Share this story: