Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

Heading into the fourth quarter of Friday's boys' lacrosse game against Dallastown, Central York seemingly had the game in control.

The Panthers held a five-goal lead with just 12 minutes to play.

But the Wildcats wouldn't go away quietly.

Three quick goals got the home team back into the game, but Dallastown couldn't finish the comeback, and the Panthers held on for a 13-11 victory.

"I'd rather hold the lead you have and keep going and not let a team come back," Central head coach Tom Mayne said. "If I could throw away the fourth quarter and keep the win, sure I would. I'd like to see us play with a little bit more of a championship mindset and not a settling mindset."

For as how well as the Panthers (3-0) started the game, the way they finished it frustrated Mayne.

"I was happy with the offense's start, but not happy with how we forced things in the end," Mayne said. "If we would've just settled down and kept possession time, then we could've kept the game going in our favor."

The Panthers established the early momentum thanks to three goals in the game's first two minutes.

Will Hartzell scored two of his three goals in that early flurry and was one of three Panthers who recorded a hat trick, along with Alex Kilgour and Katon Yantek.

Central led 5-2 after the first quarter and took a 10-7 lead at halftime.

Three Central players found the net in the third quarter to help extend the lead to 13-8 after three.

The Panthers face Hershey on Saturday morning as Central looks to continue its strong start to the season.

"The chemistry, they like each other. It's a good locker room to be in," Mayne said of the team's early success. "They have brotherhood on the back of their shirts, and they treat each other that way."

Dallastown (1-2) got three goals from Ethan Pickett and two from Ser Greene. Tanner Haines recorded a goal and four assists.

Central's Sam Prowell finished with 11 saves, and Dallastown's Jack Marks recorded nine saves.

Read or Share this story: