Littlestown limbo: Basketball teams await YAIAA fate
Littlestown girls' basketball seniors Jill Gauthier and Janelle Kress discuss the team's training program and the stereotypes that come with being girls in the weight room. Matt Allibone
The YAIAA basketball tournament fields were almost completely set after Friday night's games.
With one boys' spot and one girls' spot left to fill, both of Littlestown's basketball teams are crossing their fingers.
After the automatic bids are filled (the top three from Division I, and top two from divisions II and III), the eighth and final spot goes to the third-place team from division II or III that has the best District 3 power ranking. That decision won't be made until noon Wednesday, after the regular season concludes.
Guess where both of Littlestown's teams finished? That's right: Third place in YAIAA Division III.
On the boys' side, Littlestown is going up against Division II third-place finisher Kennard-Dale. The Thunderbolts hold a comfortable margin over the Rams after Friday's games, but the rankings can change based on opponents' wins and losses. Both the Bolts and Rams have completed their regular seasons.
On the girls' side, it's Littlestown vs. Dover for the final playoff berth. In that case, Dover holds the edge after Friday's action. The Eagles have one more non-league game Monday at South Western, while Littlestown's regular season is over.
In both cases, the final call will be made based on the district rankings at noon Wednesday.
Here's a look at the rest of the fields for the YAIAA basketball tournaments.
- Division I: Northeastern, Spring Grove and Central York are in. Note: Northeastern won the Division I title outright with its win coupled with Spring Grove's loss to Central York.
- Division II: Dover and Eastern York are in.
- Division III: York Catholic and Delone Catholic are in.
- Wild card: Kennard-Dale and Littlestown will go down to District 3 rankings on Wednesday.
- Division I: Central York, Dallastown and New Oxford are in. Note: Central York clinched the YAIAA Division I title outright with its win coupled with Dallastown's loss.
- Division II: Susquehannock, Eastern York are in.
- Division III: York Catholic, Delone Catholic are in.
- Wild card: Dover and Littlestown will go down to District 3 rankings on Wednesday.