F-F Highlights: G-A clinches division title
The Greencastle-Antrim softball team clinched its second straight outright Mid Penn Colonial Division title with a 10-0 win over Big Spring on Thursday. The baseball team, which won the outright title last year, settled for a shared division crown with Big Spring after falling to the Bulldogs, 7-4.
The Lady Blue Devils were led by Olivia Remenick, who pitched a three-hit shutout and struck out 11 batters along the way. Remenick also was 4-for-4 from the plate and drove in two runs.
Abby Reitz also had two hits for the softball team and scored three times.
The third inning took the wind out of the Greencastle baseball team, which could not overcome the deficit set up by Big Spring's four-run inning in the third.
Noah Brown hit 2-for-4 with an RBI but was the only player to register more than one hit. Cade Bender struck out four in relief.
ONE-RUN GAME: Chambersburg got things rolling in the fifth inning of a Mid Penn Commonwealth Division game against Cedar Cliff, scoring back-to-back runs to lock in a narrow win for the Trojans.
In the top of the fifth inning, Bryce Kendall singled to the right to score Spencer Hockensmith, followed by a fielder's choice by Spencer Seaman to bring Josiah Picard home.
Austin Kopp led the Trojans home by allowing just one hit in the remaining two innings. Kopp struck out three batters and allowed three hits through seven innings.
HIT PARADE: The Shippensburg softball team racked up 17 hits in a decisive 13-0 victory over Boiling Springs in a Mid Penn Colonial Division game. The Lady Hounds scored six runs in the top of the seventh to put the final nail in the coffin.
Six Shippensburg batters registered multiple hits, while Courtney Coy led with three RBIs. Zoe Holtry followed with two runs batted in.
Sami Barmont had a fine day in the circle throwing seven shutout innings, allowing three hits and striking out 12 batters along the way.
ATTACK MODE: The Shalom Christian girls soccer team bombarded Broadfording in a 5-0 MDCC win with 46 shots on goal, and allowed a measly eight shots the other way.
- Despite falling to Tussey Mountain 4-3, Fannett-Metal starting pitcher Kyler Goshorn gave up three hits and struck out five. Cole Funk went 3-for-3 at the plate, while Taylor Miller had two RBIs.
- Shalom Christian's Colby Maun threw a two-hit shutout against Broadfording in a big 8-0 MDCC victory. Maun was aided by a solo home run hit by Jonah Stains, and RBIs by Tobin King, Jacob Nicholas, Chase Martin and Bady Bakner.
- Shippensburg's Zach Barnhart had an efficient outing for the Greyhounds, throwing 64 pitches through five complete innings - 39 for strikes. He struck out four batters and walked one in the Hounds' 6-4 win over Boiling Spring. Aaron Ross and Colten Zeigler each had two hits and an RBI for Shippensburg.
- Fannett-Metal's Emily Metcalfe hit a grand slam for the Tigers in a 13-3 victory over Tussey Mountain. Claudia Umbrell also had three hits and brought in two runs.
- Bridgette Ritchey was on fire at the plate with two hits - including a home run - and three RBIs in McConnellsburg's 8-5 loss to Southern Huntingdon.
- Brooke Emge scored four goals in the first 40 minutes for Shalom Christian in a MDCC rout of Broadfording. Bethany Blank had two assists and Julia Wright had a goal and an assist.
Big Spring 7, Greencastle-Antrim (9-6, 7-3 MPC) 4
Chambersburg (6-12, 3-9 MPC) 2, Cedar Cliff 1
Shippensburg (5-9, 3-7 MPC) 6, Boiling Springs 4
Tussey Mountian 4, Fannett-Metal (4-12, 4-9 SHL/ 3-8 ICC) 3
Southern Huntingdon 7, McConnellsburg (6-7, 5-5 SHL/ 6-4 ICC) 3
Chestnut Ridge 7, Forbes Road (5-6, 4-6 SHL) 2
Southern Fulton (12-3, 10-3 SHL/ 9-3 ICC) 9-16, Northern Bedford 2-4
Shalom Christian (10-3, 8-3) 8, Broadfording Academy 0
Chambersburg (14-4, 9-3 MPC) 3, Cedar Cliff 2
Greencastle (12-5, 9-1 MPC) 10, Big Spring 0
Shippensburg (11-5, 8-2 MPC) 13, Boiling Springs 0
Fannett-Metal (13-3, 10-3 SHL/ 9-3 ICC)13, Tussey Mountain 3
Southern Huntingdon 8, McConnellsburg (6-6, 5-6 SHL/ 5-4 ICC) 5
Chestnut Ridge 6, Forbes Road (4-7, 4-6 SHL) 3
Track & field
IPSL Meet at Mercersburg Academy
Girls: Hershey 18, Chambersburg 3-10, 2-10 MPC) 3
Boys: Hershey 16, Chambersburg (3-10, 1-10 MPC) 2
Shalom Christian 5, Broadfording Academy 0
James Buchanan (13-4, 6-4 MPC) 1, Waynesboro (8-7, 6-4 MPC) 0
Mercersburg Academy (11-6) 5, Musselman 3
Chambersburg 7, State College 1
Shippensburg 16, Big Spring 0
Waynesboro (10-8, 5-4 MPC) 10, James Buchanan (8-9, 2-7 MPC) 4
McConnellsburg 15, Mercersburg Academy 5
Track & field
Boys: Fairfield 84, McConnellsburg (7-1) 66
Girls: Fairfield 109, McConnellsburg (6-2) 30
Central York 3, Chambersburg (9-5) 0