F-F Highlights: Chastulik breaks Trojan record
It was a big day in the discus Tuesday for Chambersburg's Kelton Chastulik.
In the Trojans' final dual meet of the season, a 90-60 loss to Mifflin County, Chastulik broke the school record in the discus that he had been shooting for all season. He hit 178-1 to wipe out the record of Mike Clark set in 2001 (166-1). Chastulik hit that throw in the last toss of the trials, and in the final three throws, he hit 169, 167 and 165-9.
Trojan coach Bob Walker said, "The kid from Mifflin County (Andrew Bennett) had done well down at the Penn Relays, and there was a pretty big crowd watching those two. I think Kelton was behind until he hit that big throw, and that must have disappointed the fans."
Chambersburg (3-4, 3-4 MPC) got a pair of wins from Trayton Barnett in the 110 (15.5) and 300 (42.1) hurdles, while Nate Reed won the long (20-3.5) and triple (40-9) jumps.
The Trojan girls (5-1, 5-1 MPC) picked up a 98-52 victory to finish 5-2 (5-2 MPC). Reagan Winebrenner won the shot put (36-3) and discus (121-10.5), while Jaelynn Walker took the high jump (4-8) and tied with Jocelyn Kibbe in the pole vault at 9-6.
A WILD ONE: Greencastle-Antrim and Waynesboro hooked up in a powerful offensive display in softball Tuesday, with the Blue Devils prevailing 19-10. G-A scored five runs in the fifth to break a 10-10 deadlock.
Jenna Carty and Abby Reitz belted two-run home runs for the Devils (11-5, 8-1 MPC), and each had two hits and three RBIs, as did Olivia Remenick. Greencastle can wrap up the division with a win over Big Spring on Thursday.
For Waynesboro (9-8, 4-4 MPC), Katie Wise and Hannah Wile each had three hits, and Chelsea Cover, Drew Alldredge and Sam Knopp each had two hits. Cover and Knopp had three RBIs apiece.
- Branden Lynch threw a 5-hitter and struck out 8 batters to help Southern Fulton defeat Fannett-Metal 8-2. Lynch also hit a double.
- Winning pitcher Carly Swope was 3-for-3 with a double and an RBI and Bridgette Ritchey knocked in 2 runs as McConnellsburg nipped Northern Bedford, 6-5.
- Jenna Mongold pitched a 3-hitter with 9 strikeouts as James Buchanan ripped Boiling Springs, 15-1. On offense, the Rockets didn't have to do much. JB had only 2 hits, but was walked 13 times. Maddie Bailey scored 4 runs.
- Brooke Harris pitched a 5-hit shutout and had 2 hits and 2 RBIs for Fannett-Metal in a 9-0 verdict over Southern Fulton. Morgan Ritchey (3 hits) and Emily Metcalfe (2) each hit a double.
- Kaitlin Provard scored twice and added an assist as Cumberland Valley Christian topped Carroll Christian, 4-1.
- In Shalom Christian 12-0 win over Highland View, Brooke Emge scored 6 goals to raise her total to 30 for the season, while Sadie Bland and Julia Wright each had 2 goals.
State College 14, Chambersburg (5-12, 2-9 MPC) 7
Waynesboro (8-6, 6-3 MPC) 7, Greencastle-Antrim (9-5, 7-2 MPC) 2
Big Spring 5, Shippensburg (4-9, 2-7 MPC) 4
James Buchanan (12-4, 5-4 MPC) 14, Boiling Springs 7
Southern Fulton (10-3, 8-3 SHL.7-2 ICC) 8, Fannett-Metal (4-11, 4-8 SHL, 3-7 ICC) 2
Greencastle-Antrim (11-5, 8-1 MPC) 19, Waynesboro (9-8, 4-4 MPC) 10
Big Spring at Shippensburg, moved to Wednesday at Ship. U., 4:15
James Buchanan (8-8, 2-6 MPC) 15, Boiling Springs 1, 5 innings
Fannett-Metal (12-3, 9-3, 7-2) 9, Southern Fulton (1-11, 0-10 SHL/0-9 ICC) 0
McConnellsburg (5-5m 5-5 SHL, 5-3 ICC) 6, Northern Bedford 5
Track & field
Boys: Mifflin County 90, Chambersburg (3-4, 3-4 MPC) 60
Girls: Chambersburg (5-2, 5-2 MPC) 98, Mifflin County 52
Boys: Shippensburg 76, West Perry 74
Boys: Shippensburg (5-1, 4-1 MPC) 108, Big Spring 42
Girls: West Perry 76, Shippensburg 74
Girls: Big Spring 77, Shippensburg (2-4, 2-3 MPC) 73
Boys: Northern York 11, Chambersburg (3-9, 2-9 MPC) 0
Girls: Northern York 14, Chambersburg (3-9, 1-9 MPC) 131
Boys: Mercersburg Academy (8-4, 2-0 IPSL) 12, St. Maria Goretti 11, OT
Shalom Christian (10-3) 12, Highland View 0
Cumb. Valley Christian (6-5) 4, Carroll Christian 1
John Handley 5, Mercersburg Academy (3-8) 2