F-F Highlights: JB boys track wins showdown
In a battle of unbeaten boys track & field teams Tuesday afternoon, James Buchanan won all three relays on its way to an 81.5-68.5 verdict over Shippensburg.
The Rockets (4-0, 3-0 MPC) now have a leg up on the Greyhounds (3-1, 3-1 MPC) in the Mid Penn Colonial Division.
JB had a pair of double winners: Jamal Riley in the 100 (11.4) and 200 (23.30), while Dalton Leab was a winner in the 800 (2:05.00) and 1600 (4:55.0) races. Cody Gustafson was first in the long jump (20-5) and triple jump (40-10) for Ship.
In the girls meet, Shippensburg (2-2, 2-2 MPC) ran to a 104-46 victory over JB. Emily Newman (100, 300 hurdles) and Sarah Strohm (long and triple jump) were double winners, while for the Rockets, Siara Gossert won the discus and javelin.
BROKEN: All streaks are meant to be broken.
But you can bet the James Buchanan baseball team wanted someone other than their cross-county rivals, Waynesboro, to break its six-game winning streak.
The Indians claimed a 9-4 Mid Penn Colonial Division win over the Rockets on Tuesday thanks to a well-rounded scoring effort.
Waynesboro was led by Kyle Hoffman, who had three hits and brought in two runs, while Colby Rogers had two hits and had a pair of RBIs.
Clay Wolfe and Derek Buhrman also had a pair of hits, and Wolfe earned the win on the mound.
- Shippensburg’s Aaron Ross played hero in the Greyhounds' extra-inning triumph over Boiling Springs. Ross drove in the game-winning runs on a two-RBI single in the top of the ninth, locking in Shippensburg’s first win of the season. Ross also had Ship’s only other RBI of the game in the third inning. Nate Holt fanned 7 batters through 6 ⅓ innings, but Brady Kuhn earned the decision, throwing 17 pitches, 12 of which were strikes.
- Greencastle-Antrim’s Nathan Starliper struck out 7 batters in 7 innings in a close 3-1 win over Big Spring as the Blue Devils remain undefeated. Evan Maun was 2-for-3 with an RBI.
Courtney Coy continued to pad the stat sheet with another solid performance against Boiling Springs, knocking in 5 runs thanks to a 3-for-3 performance from the plate - including a 3-run home run in the first inning. Coy also claimed the win on the mound. Sami Barmont was also on at the plate, hitting 4-for-4 with 4 RBIs and a walkoff 3-run home run to end the game in four innings.
Greencastle-Antrim’s Jenna Carty drove in five runs on three hits in an 11-1 win over Big Spring. Olivia Remenick struck out six through five innings.
Mac Miller totaled five RBIs and a pair of doubles for Waynesboro in a 12-7 win over James Buchanan.
Track & field
- Trayton Barnette captured the 110 and 300 hurdles - the 300 in a season-best 40.75 - to help Chambersburg top Central Dauphin, 91-59 in boys track & field. Nate Reed took first in the long jump triple jump and javelin, and second in the 100. Kelton Chastulik won the shot put and discus and Quintan Barbour was first in the 400.
- The Chambersburg girls ripped CD, 97-49, with help from their hurdlers, too. Caroline Hance won the 100 hurdles and Breya Clopper the 300, in 47.61 - the fastest ever for a Trojan freshman. Morgan Mentzer was the runner-up in both races. Sydney Parson had a PR in winning the 800 (2:26.76). Ariana Appenzellar took the 100 and 200 and Reagan Winebrenner won the shot put and discus.
- For the Greencastle-Antrim girls, who are 4-0 after beating Big Spring 90-55, Riley Gelsinger (400) and Taryn Parks (1600) each won an event and ran on two winning relays.
- Darius Carter won both hurdles events and was on two winning relays as the Greencastle boys won their first meet, 102-43 over Big Spring.
Mifflin County 3, Chambersburg (4-9, 1-6 MPC) 2
Greencastle-Antrim (7-0, 5-0 MPC) 3, Big Spring 1
Shippensburg (1-5, 1-4 MPC) 3, Boiling Springs 1, 9 innings
Waynesboro (5-5, 3-5 MPC) 9, James Buchanan (7-2, 3-2 MPC) 4
Everett 12, McConnellsburg (3-4, 3-3 SHL/3-2 ICC) 9, 5 innings
Chambersburg (7-3, 5-2 MPC) 7, Mifflin County 4
Greencastle-Antrim (5-4, 4-1 MPC) 11, Big Spring 1
Waynesboro (8-5, 3-1 MPC) 12, James Buchanan (4-4, 0-4 MPC) 7
Shippensburg (6-1, 4-1 MPC) 17, Boiling Springs 0, 4 innings
Everett 10, McConnellsburg (1-4, 1-4 SHL/1-3 ICC) 0
Chambersburg 3, Carlisle 2
Boys track & field
Chambersburg (2-2, 2-2 MPC) 91, Central Dauphin 59
Greencastle-Antrim (1-3, 1-3 MPC) 102, Big Spring 43
James Buchanan (4-0, 3-0 MPC) 81.5, Shippensburg (3-1, 3-1 MPC) 68.5
Girls track & field
Chambersburg (3-1, 3-1 MPC) 97, Central Dauphin 49
Greencastle-Antrim (4-0, 4-0 MPC) 90, Big Spring 55
Shippensburg (2-2, 2-2 MPC) 104, James Buchanan (0-4, 0-3 MPC) 46
Boys, State College 16, Chambersburg 4
Hollidaysburg 5, Mercersburg Academy (0-6) 2