F-F Highlights: F-M knocks off Spartans
Fannett-Metal did all of its scoring early and it was just enough to hold off McConnellsburg, 7-6, in a Sideling Hill/Inter-County Conference baseball game Thursday afternoon.
"We let them get back in the game with some sloppy defense; Kyler Goshorn pitched a much better game than what the score showed," Tiger coach Jamie Funk said. "He gave up only one walk and forced them to put the ball in play, but some costly errors forced him to throw too many extra pitches."
F-M (3-4 (3-3 SHL/3-2 ICC) scored five runs in the first inning, and two more in the second on a two-run base hit by Taylor Miller. Austin Raymer was 2-for-4 and earned a save by pitching the seventh inning.
Chase Novak hurled 5 1/3 innings of three-hit, scoreless relief for the Spartans (3-3, 3-2 SHL, 3-1 ICC).
Chambersburg 3, CD East 1: The Trojans completed a 3-0 week by besting the Panthers, 25-22, 25-18, 21-25, 25-22.
The Trojans (5-2, 4-2 MPC) got 32 assists from Kellen Stepler, 21 digs from Trey Stepler and 22 kills by Dalton Strite.
"The offense was pretty good all week; consistent in all three matches," Chambersburg coach Marta Helfrick said. "Our hitting percentage this week was the best it's been all year and the passing has been decent. We are showing signs of improvement every day."
- A four-run second inning carried Greencastle-Antrim to a 4-1 win over Waynesboro. Tanner Rock threw 3 scoreless innings and Nathan Starliper allowed just one run in his 4 innings.
- Aaron Ross went 2-for-3 and drove in a run, but Shippensburg fell to Big Spring, 4-3.
- Chambersburg suffered its second loss in three days, falling victim to Cumberland Valley, 9-1. Leah Hunt was 3-for-4 and ripped a solo home run for the Trojans.
- Emily Wenner carried the load for Shippensburg in a 4-0 win over Big Spring. At the plate, Wenner was 3-for-4 with 2 doubles and drove in 3 runs, and she pitched a 2-hit shutout with 6 strikeouts. Courtney Coy was also 3-for-4 with 3 RBIs.
- Fannett-Metal raised its record to 7-1 with a 5-1 win over McConnellsburg. Morgan Ritchey had 3 hits and scored 3 times for the Tigers, while Emily Metcalfe had a pair of RBIs.
- Brianna Waters was 3-for-3 and Olivia Hall had two doubles and three RBIs to help Forbes Road defeat Northern Bedford, 9-5.
Track & field
- For the James Buchanan boys, in an 83-67 win over West Perry, Jamal Riley won the 100, 200 and long jump, while Clayton Bendell took first in the high jump and triple jump for the 3-0 Rockets.
- In the boys meet, McConnellsburg clinched a 78-72 win over Southern Fulton when the 4x400 relay team of Chance Hawbaker, Philip Strait, Josh Booth and Zach DeShong took first place. Booth and Hawbaker both had a pair of first-place finishes.
- For the girls, in a similar situation, Southern Fulton's 4x400 relay team of Elizabeth Flaherty, Brooke Jordan, Morgan Fitz and Madison Unger sewed up a 79-70 win over McConnellsburg. For the Spartans, McKenzie Gelvin won the 100, 400 and 800.
Cumberland Valley 3, Chambersburg (2-7, 1-5 MPC) 2
Greencastle-Antrim (6-0, 4-0 MPC) 4, Waynesboro (4-4, 2-2 MPC) 1
James Buchanan (6-1, 3-1 MPC) 7, Boiling Springs 3
Big Spring 4, Shippensburg (0-5, 0-4 MPC) 3
Fannett-Metal (3-4, 3-3 SHL/3-2 ICC) 7, McConnellsburg (3-3, 3-2 SHL/3-1 ICC) 6
Forbes Road (4-2, 3-2 SHL/3-1 ICC) 7, Northern Bedford 6
Cumberland Valley 9, Chambersburg (6-2, 4-2 MPC) 1
Greencastle-Antrim (4-3, 3-1 MPC) 11, Waynesboro (7-3, 2-1 MPC) 7
Shippensburg (5-1, 3-1 MPC) 4, Big Spring 0
Boiling Springs 2, James Buchanan (3-3, 0-3 MPC) 1
Fannett-Metal (7-1, 5-1 SHL/4-1 ICC) 5, McConnellsburg (1-3, 1-3 SHL/1-2 ICC) 1
Forbes Road (2-4, 2-3 SHL/2-2 ICC) 9, Northern Bedford 5
Track & field
Boys: James Buchanan (3-0) 83, West Perry 67
Girls: West Perry 118.5, James Buchanan (0-3) 31.5
Boys: McConnellsburg 126, Fannett-Metal 23
Boys: McConnellsburg (4-0, 4-0 ICC) 78, Southern Fulton 73
Boys: Southern Fulton (4-4, 3-4 ICC) , 125, Fannett-Metal (0-4, 0-4 ICC) 24
Girls: McConnellsburg 108, Fannett-Metal 39
Girls: Southern Fulton 79, McConnelsburg (3-1, 3-1 ICC) 70
Girls: Southern Fulton (5-3, 4-3 ICC) 114, Fannett-Metal (0-4, 0-4 ICC) 35
Boys: Lower Dauphin 18, Chambersburg (1-5, 1-5 MPC) 3
Girls: Lower Dauphin 12, Chambersbug (2-4, 1-4 MPC) 6
Chambersburg (5-2, 4-2 MPC) 3, CD East 1