F-F Highlights: 13-hit attack propels James Buchanan
After struggling to put the ball in play on Saturday, the James Buchanan baseball team exploded with 13 hits in a non-league game against Juniata, taking down the Indians 11-1 in six innings.
But it was a late start for the Rockets, who scored just one run in the first three innings, but exploded thanks to powerful hitting led by Jared Pine and Wyatt Chilcote.
“It was good to get the offense back on track after not hitting the ball well against McConnellsburg,” James Buchanan coach Dave Sanchez said. “We didn’t really score until later; their pitcher threw a lot of offspeed pitches, so we needed one time through the order to get it.”
Pine led JB (4-1) with five RBIs off two hits, while Chilcote batted in three runs. Hunter Reath had two hits and scored three times, while Gavin Barnhart was 2-for-4 and scored twice.
Remi Spoonhour earned the win on the mound, allowing just one run in the first inning. He struck out three through five innings.
- Kaden Hoover went 2-for-3, but that was the extent of Chambersburg's offense in a 5-0 defeat to State College. In the Trojans' five losses, they have scored a total of two runs.
- Colby Maun threw a five-hitter and struck out 14 to lead Shalom Christian to a 6-3 win over Fannett-Metal. Jonah Stains had 3 hits for the Flames.
- In Southern Fulton's 7-4 win over Hancock, Md., Indians leadoff hitter Carl Potter was 2-for-3 and drove in four runs.
- Brycen Hohman earned the win, Aaron Schepis was 2-for-3 and Logan Grubb and Talon Blair each had two RBIs for Forbes Road in a 15-4 win over Hyndman.
- Lauren Hunsecker fired a three-hit shutout to lift Waynesboro to a 1-0 win over CD East. The Maidens' run came in the fourth on a two-out hit by Chelsea Cover, a steal and an RBI hit by Drew Alldredge.
- Alicen Hoover was 2-for-4 and drive in two runs for Greencastle-Antrim, but the Blue Devils fell to West Perry, 12-6.
- Dalton Strite piled up 14 kills, 15 digs and 3 aces to lead Chambersburg over Spring Grove (25-19, 25-15, 19-25, 25-22). Kellen Stepler made 34 assists, Nate Walker and Aaron Myers each had 11 kills and Trey Stepler had 19 digs.
State College 5, Chambersburg (2-5, 2-3 MPC) 0
James Buchanan (4-1) 11, Juniata 1
Forbes Road (3-1) 15, Hyndman 4
Shalom Christian (2-0) 6, Fannett-Metal (1-4) 3
Southern Fulton (3-2) 7, Hancock 4
Chambersburg (6-0, 4-0 MPC) 13, State College 3, 5 innings
West Perrry 12, Greencastle-Antrim (2-3) 6
Waynesboro (6-2) 1, Central Dauphin East 0
Hancock, Md. 15, Southern Fulton (0-4) 1
Hyndman 7, Forbes Road (1-3) 6
Chambersburg (3-2) 3, Spring Grove 1
Heritage Academy 4, Cumberland Valley Christian (2-3, 2-3 MDCC) 2
Central Dauphin East 5, Chambersburg (0-8) 0