Skip to main content

Chambersburg, Waynesboro settle for 2-2 draw

In the end, the biggest winner might have been the fans.

Chambersburg and Waynesboro played a spirited non-league boys soccer game Saturday morning at Buchanan Auto Park Stadium that ended in a 2-2 stalemate.

The Trojans were disappointed because they controlled play and held a 22-10 advantage in shots, yet could never take the lead. The Indians were crushed because they grabbed a 2-1 lead with 4:47 remaining in regulation but held that lead for only a minute and nine seconds.

Those kind of back-and-forth momentum swings and plenty of near misses by both sides made for a very entertaining game.

Waynesboro's Joey Daniels put his team in the lead late, scoring against the run of play. On the Indians' first deep penetration for quite a few minutes, Preston Wittie got to a loose ball first and the ball slid over to Daniels, who was all alone on the doorstep.

But the Indians' celebration was short-lived. A throw-in by Chambersburg's Victor Canel skipped off a defender's head and went to Connor Gniewek, who headed it home to tie the game 2-2.

"We should have been able to just pack it in," 'Boro coach Brian Stum said, "but we let the guy on the back post free."

Chambersburg coach Corey Grove said, "We did everything we could in the second half to get a win, but we just kept making stupid little mistakes that cost us a goal. We had 20-plus shots and finished only two and they had a lot less but got two goals. We need somebody to get a killer instinct for scoring goals."

The Indians (6-1-1) got on the board with 15 minutes left in the first half. Zane Rook intercepted a pass in the Trojans' defensive end, took one move toward the middle and unleashed a shot from about 25 yards out that banked off the left post and into the net.

It took Chambersburg (3-2-1) until the 62nd minute to even the count. A throw-in was headed by Nathan Maynard past the defense and defender Rylee Reed was in the perfect position to knock it home.

Reed said, "I knew Nate would win the header because he does all the time. I saw the keeper (George Souders) come out and he deflected it, It came right to me and all I had was a tap-in."

The Trojans kept the pressure on, but Souders made five saves in the second half. His counterpart, Jacob Dougal, made a big save in the second OT when he came out to smother the ball after a through pass by Derek Buhrman nearly sent 'Boro's Aaron Tylicki free.

Stum said, "We picked a bad day to play our worst game. The midfield was lousy; that's where we lost it. We just can't find the personnel there. Even so, we had them on the ropes."

"We have four key players now out, and it's forcing us to use players in different positions," Grove said. "The boys on the field are doing a decent job, but to get to the playoffs we have to win games like this. And we didn't."