York Suburban doubles teams to meet in YAIAA tennis semifinals
Littlestown's Brett Gill capitalized on his momentum from the YAIAA singles portion and turned it into the doubles portion as he and teammate Johnny Perez upset No. 3 seed Haoza Phutaemnin and Luke Wilkins of Bermudian Springs, 7-6 (8-6), 6-4.
The duo were unable to keep that momentum in the Class AA field, as they dropped their quarterfinals bout to the York Suburban's duo of Daniel Lee and Tyr Abenschoen 6-4, 6-1.
The unseeded team of Lee and Abenschoen will meet teammates and top-seeds Michael Peck and Elliot Diehl in today's semifinals. Peck and Diehl dropped just one game in their first two matches. The other Class AA semifinal will feature No. 4 seed Adam Yingling and Zach Klick of Gettysburg, who advanced with a 6-2, 6-1 first-round win, then followed it up with a 2-6, 6-4, 6-2 win over Susquehannock's Anthony Iannuzzi and Aaron Gervasio. Yingling and Klick will meet York Catholic's No. 2 seed, Michael Andrews and Scott Bartkowiak, who picked up a pair of straight-set victories.
In the Class AAA field, the top-four seeds made it to the semifinals while the top-seed John Schmitt and Tyler Lilie of Dallastown dropped just one game. They will meet No. 4 seed Sam Innerst and Alec Shue of Red Lion. Innerst and Shue had no trouble in their opening round, winning 6-1, 6-0, but the Central York duo of Chris Maderitz and Jeremy Garling gave the Lions fits in a 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 7-5 comeback victory.
The other semifinal will feature No. 3 seed Gavin Kenny and Ben Sentz of South Western, who dropped a combined four games against New Oxford's No. 2 seed Joey Stiles and Mike Gruver, who advanced to the semifinals with a pair of straight-set victories.
Action resumes with the semifinals in each class today at South Western at 2 p.m.
YAIAA Doubles Tournament
(1) John Schmitt-Tyler Lillie, Dt, def. Logan Fries-Collin Wunsch, Ne, 6-0, 6-0.
Matt Conrad-Josiah Forry, NO, def. Nathan Swartz-Tamer El-Maghrabi, Dt, 6-1, 6-4
(4) Sam Innerst-Alec Shue, RL, def. Jake Shenk-Kyle Shenk, YCD, 6-1, 6-0
Chris Maderitz-Jeremy Garling, CY, def. Cam Nathanson-Shane O'Reilly, SW, 6-3, 6-0
Grant Wierman-Andrew Bowman, SG, def. Hunter Jones-Sachin Venkatesh, DT, 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
(3) Gavin Kenny-Ben Sentz, SW, def. Sam Jordan-Noah Shearer, Do, 6-0, 6-0
Ben Harrison-Joe Harrison, SW, def. Connor Bahca-Justin Pokopec, CY, 6-3, 6-3
(2) Joey Stiles-Mike Gruver, NO, def. Corey Caskey-Kyle Varone, CY, 6-1, 6-1
(1) Schmitt-Lillie, Dt, def. Conrad-Forry, NO, 6-1, 6-0
(4) Innerst-Shue, RL, def. Maderitz-Garling, CY, 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 7-5.
(3) Kenny-Sentz, SW, def. Wierman-Bowmann, SG, 6-3, 6-1.
(2) Stiles-Gruver, NO, def. B. Harrison-J. Harrison, SW, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4).
(1) Michael Peck-Elliot Diehl, YS, def. Josiah Burke-Jarett Potts, WY, 6-1, 6-0.
Nate Newberry-Kraig Freeman, Big, def. Tate Myers-Bailey Hoak, BeS, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
Brett Gill-Johnny Perez, Lt, def. (3) Haoza Phutaemnin-Luke Wilkins, BeS, 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
Daniel Lee-Ty Abenschoen, YS, def. Jesse Hsu-Lampe, Get, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
Anthony Iannuzzi-Aaron Gervasio, Sus, def. Cam Bosserman-Devin Glispy, Han, 6-1, 6-2
(4) Adam Yingling-Zach Klick, Get, def. Devin Glispy-Brendan Paules, Sus, 6-2, 6-1
Nick Bartkowiak-Isaac Higgins, YC, def. Brendan Staub-Ryan Owings, Lt, 6-1, 6-1
(2) Michael Andrews-Scott Bartkowiak, YC, def. Mario Statuto-Nick Durski, DC, 6-1, 6-4
(1) Peck-Diehl, YS, def. Newberry-Freeman, Big, 6-0, 6-0.
Lee-Abenschoen, YS, def. Gill-Perez, Lt, 6-4, 6-1.
(4) Yingling-Klick, Get, def. Iannuzzi-Gervasio, Sus, 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.
(2) Andrews-S. Bartkowiack, YC, def. N. Bartkowiack-Higgins, YC, 7-5, 6-4.