F-F Highlights: Trojans fall to Mifflin County in division-deciding clash
The Chambersburg softball team fell 10-9 in an extra-inning thriller against Mifflin County to decide the Mid Penn Commonwealth Division title.
The Trojans eliminated a six-run deficit to force extra innings thanks to a two-RBI double by Dori Loukopoulos to tie the game in the top of the seventh inning.
But despite a valiant effort from Leah Hunt in the circle and an extra-inning RB to give Chambersburg a one-run lead, Mifflin County put together a two-run rally in the bottom of the eighth inning to lock in the team's first Mid Penn Commonwealth title in program history.
MOVING ON: The Cumberland Valley Christian girls soccer team moved on to the semifinal round of the MDCC tournament with a 2-1 win over Calvary Christian thanks to second-half heroics by Emily Bard.
Bard scored the opening goal in the 27th minute of the first half, then recorded the game-winning goal in the 56th minute.
"This was a fun game for our players," CVC coach Paul Lundy said. "It was our first time qualifying for the MDCC final four in my three-year tenure. Emily was tenacious tonight and wasn't going to be denied. Jalen Moats made her best save of the season on a rocket over her head early to keep the game scoreless."
In the other girls soccer quarterfinal game, Shalom Christian dominated Broadfording 12-0 to move on to the final four.
Brooke Emge racked up five goals, while Sadie Bland and Bethany Blank had two goals each.
- Shalom blew away the competition in the first round of the MDCC tournament in a 13-2 win over Calvary thanks to three-RBI performances by Tobin King and Colby Maun.
- Forbes Road took a seven-run lead that the Indians could not overcome in a SHL/ICC clash. Aaron Schepis and Ethan Wright had two RBIs each. Lane Kendall struck out six Southern Fulton batters and allowed three hits through four innings. Graycen Hall got the save in relief.
- Southern Fulton's Gabe Stotler struck out seven batters through four innings in a 8-5 loss to Forbes Road. Dylan Gordon batted in two runs for the Indians.
- Courtney Schoen threw a two-hit shutout and struck out 11 batters on the way to a 7-0 victory over Hyndman. Schoen's efforts in the circle were backed by a 3-for-3 performance at the plate by Maiah Mellott.
- James Buchanan closed its regular season slate on a high note with a 11-1 win over Susquehanna Township. Lizzie Pittman threw five no-hit innings and struck out five, while Maddie Bailey and Maria Burkett had had two hits a piece.
- Sami Barmont hit a grand-slam home run in a 10-0 win over Red Land, while Emily Wenner kept the Patriots off the board with seven strikeouts through five three-hit innings.
Shalom Christian 13, Calvary 2
Cedar Cliff 7, Greencastle 5
Chambersburg 4, Mifflin County 2
Forbes Road 8, Southern Fulton 5
Mifflin County 10, Chambersburg 9, 8 innings
James Buchanan 11, Susquehanna Township 1
Forbes Road 7, Hyndman 0
Hyndman 4, Fannett-Metal 2
Shippensburg 10, Red Land 0
Cumberland Valley Christian 2, Calvary Christian 1
Palmyra 4, Shippensburg 3
Mercersburg 4, Lawrence 3, 8 innings
Boys, Hun 24, Mercersburg 13
South Western 9, Waynesboro 3, called in 2nd inning due to field conditions
Everett 6, McConnellsburg 3
Waynesboro 12, Red Lion 1
Shalom Christian 4, Highland View 0