The James Buchanan track & field team got a blowout win by the boys over Big Spring, 115-35, on Tuesday in a Mid Penn Colonial Division meet, while the Rocket girls were edged, 77-73.
For the boys, Jamal Riley had an exceptional day, take first place in three individual events - the 100 (11.21), the 200 (23.20) and the long jump (20-4.25).
Clayton Bendell (javelin, high jump) and Jae-Lin Carmack (110, 300 hurdles) were also double winners for JB (2-0, 2-0 MPC).
For the Rocket girls (0-2, 0-2 MPC), Leah Wingert captured the pole vault and triple jump, while Siara Gossert won the discus and javelin.
Trojans suffer first loss: Cedar Cliff took advantage of some shaky defense by Chambersburg to hand the Trojans their first softball loss of the season, 9-2 in a Mid Penn Commonwealth Division game. The Colts scored seven unearned runs in the bottom of the third inning.
In the top of the first, the Trojans' Lexi Leedy reached base and stole second. But she was tagged in the head with the ball and was injured, then called out when she rolled off the bag. The injury caused the game to be halted for about 15 minutes.
Chambersburg coach Chris Skultety said, "We were ahead 1-0 at that point, but it seemed like that took the wind out of us. We weren't catching fly balls or making routine plays. We kind of fell apart after Lexi got hurt. It was one of those games where things just snowballed. We'll have to find out how mentally tough we are, because we have some big games coming up."
Leah Hunt was 3-for-4 for Chambersburg (6-1, 4-1 MPC).
Track & field
- In the Greencastle-Antrim girls' 94-56 win over Boiling Springs, Jenay Faulkner and Keri Gearhart both broke their own school records in the throwing events. Faulkner heaved the shot 43-3, while Gearhart tossed the javelin 124-6.
Shippensburg’s Cody Gustafson claimed two first-place finishes in a Mid Penn Colonial Division dual meet with Waynesboro, winning the long jump (20-3) and the triple jump (41-4).
Shippensburg’s Julia Nye won three events in a Mid Penn Colonial Division win over Waynesboro, winning the 100 (13.2), 200 (28.9) and 400 (1:07.6) and racking up 15 team points.
- Fannett-Metal’s Cole Funk earned the win on the mound in a 4-1 victory over Tussey Mountain, allowing unearned one run through six innings and fanned five batters. Funk also stole two bases, and scored three runs. Austin Raymer produced two RBIs.
- Trey Swope led McConnellsburg to a 5-1 SHL/ICC win over Southern Huntingdon thanks to a solid performance at the plate. He had two hits - both doubles - and had three RBIs.
- Shalom Christian’s Logan Martin struck out seven batters in 3 ⅔ innings in a 8-5 non-league win over Legacy Christian. Colby Maun had two hits while Brady Bakner had two RBIs.
- Greencastle-Antrim scored 10 runs in the second inning in a 15-0 stroll over Boiling Springs. Ally Brown was 4-for-4 with 2 triples and 5 RBIs. Ali Sherman was 3-for-3.
- Waynesboro won its seventh straight game, 12-2 over Big Spring. Chelsea Cover was 3-for-4, Jenna Powell was 3-for-5 with a double and Alexis Rosenberry had a triple and 3 RBIs.
- Fannett-Metal claimed a 5-1 win over Tussey Mountain as Makayla O'Donel was 3-for-4 with a double, Kassie Holtry was 2-for-2 with a double and Kelsey Miley knocked in 2 runs.
- In McConnellsburg's 11-6 loss to Southern Huntingdon, Justice Seville was 3-for-5 with a pair of RBIs.
- Hannah Raines and Avery Rife each tallied 3 goals to lead Chambersburg to its second straight win, 10-7 over Cedar Cliff. Rife added a pair of assists and Mackenzie Miller had 2 goals.
- James Buchanan’s Isaac Shenton claimed a 9-7 tiebreaker on the way to defeating Nick Wool of Bermudian Springs at No. 1 singles in a non-league 5-0 Rocket victory.
Cedar Cliff 6, Chambersburg (2-6, 1-4 MPC) 1
James Buchanan (5-1, 2-1 MPC) 2, Shippensburg (0-4, 0-3 MPC) 0
Greencastle-Antrim (5-0, 3-0 MPC) 9, Boiling Springs 7
Big Spring 8, Waynesboro (4-3, 2-1 MPC) 2
Fannett-Metal (2-4, 2-3 SHL/2-2 ICC) 4, Tussey Mountain 1
McConnellsburg (3-2, 3-1 SHL/3-0 ICC) 5, Southern Huntingdon 1
Chestnut Ridge 3, Forbes Road (3-2, 2-2 SHL) 2
Shalom Christian (4-1) 9, Legacy Christian 5
Cedar Cliff 9, Chambersburg (6-1, 4-1 MPC) 2
Shippensburg (4-1, 2-1 MPC) 1, James Buchanan (3-2, 0-2 MPC) 0
Greencastle-Antrim (3-3, 2-1 MPC) 15, Boiling Springs 0, 4 innings
Waynesboro (7-2, 2-0 MPC) 12, Big Spring 2
Fannett-Metal (6-1, 4-1 SHL/3-1 ICC) 5, Tussey Mountain 1
Southern Huntingdon 11, McConnellsburg (1-2, 1-2 SHL/1-1 ICC) 6
Chestnut Ridge 8, Forbes Road (1-4, 1-3 SHL) 3
Boys track & field
Cumberland Valley 97, Chambersburg (1-2, 1-2 MPC) 53
Shippensburg (3-0, 3-0 MPC) 109, Waynesboro (1-1, 1-1 MPC) 41
Boiling Springs 84, Greencastle-Antrim (0-3, 0-3 MPC) 65
James Buchanan (2-0, 2-0 MPC) 115, Big Spring 35
Southern Fulton 96, Northern Bedford 54
Southern Huntingdon 78.5, Southern Fulton (3-3, 2-3 ICC) 71.5
Girls track & field
Chambersburg (2-1, 2-1 MPC) 81, Cumberland Valley 69
Shippensburg (1-2, 1-2 MPC) 93, Waynesboro (0-2, 0-2 MPC) 57
Greencastle-Antrim (3-0, 3-0 MPC) 94, Boiling Springs 56
Big Spring 77, James Buchanan (0-2, 0-2 MPC) 73
Northern Bedford 82, Southern Fulton 68
Southern Huntingdon 87, Southern Fulton (3-3, 2-3 ICC) 63
Chambersburg (4-2, 3-2 MPC) 3, State College 0
Chambersburg (2-3, 1-3 MPC) 10, Cedar Cliff 7
James Buchanan (7-3) 5, Bermudian Springs 0