Shippensburg was the final area team to play season openers in baseball and softball, but Waynesboro put a damper on the festivities Tuesday, picking up wins in both games.
In baseball the Indians captured a 4-2 victory, while in softball the Maidens prevailed 6-4.
The baseball was tied 2-2 until the top of the sixth. Cole Reed (2-for-3) led off with a double for 'Boro, and a Preston Witte base hit and a walk to Coby Rogers loaded the bases before a sacrifice fly by Jeb Newman plated the go-ahead run.
Waynesboro added some insurance in the seventh via an error, a sac bunt y Derek Buhrman and a single by Bubba Hamilton made it 4-2. Cal Davis earned the win in relief, hurling 2 2/3 innings of one-hit ball.
Greyhound coach Nathan Rosenberry said, "We definitely had a lot of practice before we finally got out on the field. I was proud of our effort - they just made one more play and got one more key hit than we did."
Nate Holt had two hits, and held the Indians to just two hits through five innings as the starting pitcher. Aaron Ross also had a pair of hits.
In the softball game, Shippensburg rallied to take a 4-3 lead with three runs in the top of the fifth inning, but Waynesboro came right back to plate three in the bottom of the inning off Courtney Coy.
"We used good, aggressive baserunning and executing the small things to force runs in," Maidens coach Aaron Burke said.
Lauren Hunsecker allowed only six hits in the win.
Burke said, "Our pitcher was hit in the foot with a line drive and could have laid down, but she stayed in and kept fighting. This was by far the best game she has played for us. Hopefully, she takes off from here. We were also down a pitcher, with Caitlyn Pollock having a family emergency, so Lauren and the team stepped up that much more."
For the Lady Hounds, Emily Wenner and Coy each had two hits.
- Greencastle-Antrim scored eight runs in the second inning to wipe out a 2-0 James Buchanan lead and went on to win 12-4. Evan Maun and Cade Marshall each doubled in a run and Cade Bender, Noah Brown and Cade McDowell each had RBI singles in the big inning. McDowell, Marshall and Tanner Rock all had 3 hits for G-A, while Remi Spoonhour, Jared Pine and Chayse Fisher each had two for the Rockets.
- Olivia Remenick made an impressive debut for Greencastle, allowing just two hits and a walk while striking out 10 to help Greencastle-Antrim blank James Buchanan 2-0. Jenna Mongold was nearly as good for the Rockets (5 hits, 0 walks, 5 Ks). Mac Oberholzer was 2-for-3 for the Blue Devils and knocked in a run.
Boys track & field
- In James Buchanan's 79-65 win over Greencastle-Antrim, Clayton Bendell (high jump, javelin), Dalton Leab (800, 1600) and Jamal Riley (100, long jump) were double winners. For G-A, Campbell Parker (shot, discus) and Darius Carter (both hurdles) each won twice.
- In Shippensburg's 77-73 win over Boiling Springs, Cody Gustafson won the long and triple jump, and anchored the 4x100 relay team that won by a tenth of a second.
- In Southern Fulton's split with Juniata Valley (win) and Bellwood-Antis (loss), the Indians' Tim Wright threw the javelin 183-3.5 to set a school record in the event.
Girls track & field
- In Greencastle-Antrim's 104-45 win over James Buchanan, Sydney Bowen (100, 200) and Jenay Faulkner (shot, javelin) each won two events, while JB's Leah Wingert (pole vault, triple jump) collected a pair of wins.
- Shippensburg fell to Boiling Springs, but Sarah Strohm took the long and triple jumps for the Lady Hounds.
- Fannett-Metal was defeated by Northern Bedford and West Branch, but the Tigers' Lizzie Peppernick won the discus (98-9) and shot put.
Carlisle at Chambersburg, ppd. to Wednesday, 4:30
Greencastle-Antrim (3-0, 1-0 MPC) 12, James Buchanan (1-1, 0-1 MPC) 4
Waynesboro (3-2, 1-0 MPC) 4, Shippensburg (0-1, 0-1 MPC) 2
Chambersburg at Carlisle, ppd. to Wednesday, 4:15
Greencastle-Antrim (2-1, 1-0 MPC) 2, James Buchanan (1-1, 0-1 MPC) 0
Waynesboro (3-2, 1-0 MPC) 6, Shippensburg (0-1, 0-1 MPC) 4
Cumberland Valley 3, Chambersburg (2-1, 2-1 MPC) 0
Boys track & field
James Buchanan (1-0, 1-0 MPC) 79, Greencastle-Antrim (0-2, 0-2 MPC) 65
Shippensburg (2-0, 2-0 MPC) 77, Boiling Springs 73
Northern Bedford 96, Fannett-Metal 48
West Branch 113, Fannett-Metal (0-2, 0-2 ICC) 26
Southern Fulton 107, Juniata Valley 43
Bellwood-Antis 98, Southern Fulton (2-2, 1-2 ICC) 52
McConnellsburg (1-0, 1-0 ICC) 85, Mount Union 65
Girls track & field
Greencastle-Antrim (2-0, 2-0 MPC) 104, James Buchanan (0-1, 0-1 MPC) 45
Boiling Springs 85, Shippensburg (0-2, 0-2 MPC) 65
Northern Bedford 89.5, Fannett-Metal 46.5
West Branch 86, Fannett-Metal (0-2, 0-2 ICC) 57
Southern Fulton 102.5, Juniata Valley 46.5
Bellwood-Antis 79.5, Southern Fulton (3-1, 2-1 ICC) 70.5
McConnellsburg 88, Everett 60
McConnellsburg (1-0, 1-0 ICC) 102, Mount Union 44
Chambersburg (1-2, 1-2 MPC) 13, CD East 4
Mercersburg Academy (3-1, 1-0 IPSL) 17, St. John's Catholic Prep 16
CD East 11, Chambersburg (0-3, 0-3 MPC) 10, OT
Shenandoah Valley 5, Shalom Christian (4-1, 4-1 MDCC) 1
State College 5, Chambersburg (0-5, 0-3 MPC) 3
James Buchanan (5-2, 3-1 MPC) 4, Susquehanna Twp. 1