GIRLS TENNIS: Tuesday's roundup, Chambersburg falls to Mifflin County after receiving bad news
FAYETTEVILLE >> Before the Chambersburg girls tennis team took the court for its first match of the season Tuesday, coach Bill Wissinger knew it was going to be a testing challenge.
That's because on Monday night, Wissinger was informed that his No. 1 and No. 2 singles players, Maya and Neela Krishnashamy, were moving back to California and would no longer be on the team.
The Trojans went on to struggle in its opener against Mifflin County, falling 5-0 and losing in straight sets in all but one match of the non-league contest.
"It was a tough match going in because we prepared for the last 2 1/2 weeks like we were going to have those two," Wissinger said. "So we had girls playing today two spots ahead of where they were slotted. There was just a lot of pressure."
Paige Sideras was the lone player to force three sets for the Trojans (0-1). She won the first set 6-4 before falling 6-0 and 6-3 in the defeat at No. 3 singles.
"Paige did a good job of keeping the ball in play and staying patient," Wissinger said. "It was a great learning experience for the girls, and I thought they did well."
Mifflin County 5, Chambersburg 0 at Fayetteville
1. Emily Hurlburt (MC) d Cassidi Martin, 6-2, 6-0
2. Kate Hugenduber (MC) d Taryn Brechbill, 6-3, 6-4
3. Jessica Wright (MC) Paige Sideras, 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
1. Kate Arnold-Mackenzie Roush (MC) d Emma Guare-Sydney Fischer, 6-0, 6-3
2. Joselyn Walters-Jamie Mahigel (MC) d Kara Wiley-Madison Starliper, 6-1, 6-0
TRINITY 4, JAMES BUCHANAN 1 >> Meredith Sanders came out on top of a long battle on Tuesday, but James Buchanan was otherwise shut out in a Mid Penn Colonial Division defeat.
Sanders battled to a 7-6 (7-2) win in the first set for the Rockets (0-1, 0-1 MPC), and she took the final set 7-5.
"Meredith played a heck of a match. It took almost 2 1/2 hours to finish," JB coach Terri Beegle said. "She was thinking ahead and making a lot of shots."
The No. 1 doubles team of Maggie Strawoet and Autumn Schweizer battled throughout their match but ultimately fell, 6-2, 6-2.
Trinity 4, James Buchanan 1 at Shiremanstown
1. Catyherin Long (T) d Rachel Martin, 6-2, 6-0
2. Meredith Sanders (JB) d Amanda Becker, 7-6 (7-2), 7-5
3. Katie Kukay (T) d Abby Heinbaugh, 6-4, 6-1
1. Alex Borza-Hope Joyce (T) d Maggie Strawoet-Autumn Schweizer, 6-2, 6-2
2. Chandler Dix-Hannah Schuchart (T) d Violet Clark-Rachel Poffenberger, 6-1, 6-0