BISHOP MCDEVITT 5, JAMES BUCHANAN 0 >> The final score didn't reflect how close James Buchanan was in a Mid Penn Colonial Division girls tennis match against Bishop McDevitt on Wednesday.
"They're one of the best teams in the league, and we went toe to toe with them," Rocket coach Terri Beegle said. "We're not going to back down, and I think they got a little scared."
The Rockets (1-4, 1-3 MPC) nearly got a win at No. 2 doubles. Rachel Poffenberger and Violet Clark started out on top with a win in the first-set tiebreaker before falling in three sets.
Rachel Martin put up the best fight, taking her No. 1 singles opponent, Alexis Walker, to a three-set, four-hour match. Martin lost the first set, 6-1, but immediately fought back to tie it with a 6-3 victory. The girls then went to a tiebreaker in the decisive third before Walker pulled out an 8-6 victory.
"Rachel just took it one point at a time," Beegle said. "She gets there and goes after everything. For two days in a row, we've played really long matches in this heat, and the kids have done very well."
Bishop McDevitt 5, James Buchanan 0 at Harrisburg
1. Alexis Welker (BM) d Rachel Martin, 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6)
2. Maddie Young (BM) d Meredyth Sanders, 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Zoey Stapleton (BM) d Abby Heinbaugh, 6-0, 6-0
1. Lexie Foreman-Veronica Milosz (BM) d Maggie Strawoet-Autumn Schweizer, 6-0, 6-2
2. Kamie Hetrick-Christine Tully (BM) d Rachel Poffenberger-Violet Clark, 6-7 (3-7), 7-5, 6-2