BOYS TENNIS: Tuesday's roundup
EAST PENNSBORO 4, JAMES BUCHANAN 1 >> East Pennsboro won every bout except No. 1 doubles as James Buchanan wrapped up its Mid Penn Colonial Division slate Tuesday.
At No. 1, Isaac Shenton and Josh Summers, fresh off winning a Mid Penn AA title, won 6-4, 6-4 over Shawn Manatt and Tyler Hamilton.
JB coach Terri Beegle said, "The doubles guys did enough to win. Isaac played well and Josh hit some good shots."
At No. 3 singles, Hunter Sowers fell 6-4, 7-6 (7-5), with the winning point for the Panthers' Greg Waznik hitting the tape and falling over the net.
"Hunter played a good match," Beegle said. "He tried some things we'd been working on and sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't."
The Rockets are 9-8 (4-8 MPC); East Penn is 13-2 (10-2 MPC).
East Pennsboro 4, James Buchanan 1 at Enola
1. Logan Gouse (EP) d Chance Wishard, 6-2, 6-2
2. Gabe Petrovich (EP) d Clay Murray, 6-0, 6-3
3. Greg Waznik (EP) d Hunter Sowers, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
1. Isaac Shenton-Josh Summers (JB) d Shawn Manatt-Tyler Hamilton, 6-4, 6-4
2. Dylan Doan-Zhong Li (EP) d Matt Schofield-Luke Leidy, 6-2, 6-3
MERCERSBURG 7, STATE COLLEGE 0 >> Mercersburg Academy got stronger as the matches went on and handed State College a non-league defeat.
"In almost all of our singles matches, we played better in the second set than in the first," Blue Storm coach Eric Hicks said. "Almost everyone was able to extend leads once they got a break of serve, which is something we weren't doing consistently earlier in the season. We played pretty well, although State College was missing a couple of players in the middle of its lineup."
For Mercersburg (5-2), all five singles players won in straight sets, except Saaman Ghodsi at No. 2, who split his two sets, then won 10-3 in a tiebreaker.
Other Blue Storm winners included Elliot Hicks, Teddy Schoeck, Shayan Ghodsi, John Huang and Alec Jones, and those players all also won in doubles.
Mercersburg 7, State College 0 at Smoyer Tennis Center
1. Elliot Hicks (M) d Matt Wherley, 6-3, 6-2
2. Saaman Ghodsi (M) d Sam Wherley, 0-6, 6-1 (10-3)
3. Teddy Schoeck (M) d Sebastian Forest, 6-4, 6-0
4. Shayan Ghodsi (M) d Lucas Forest, 6-0, 6-1
5. John Huang (M) d Matt Bristol, 6-1, 6-2
6. Alec Jones (M) d Aleet Mannan, 6-0, 7-5
1. Hicks-Saa.Ghodsi (M) d M.Wherley-S.Wherley, 8-2
2. Schoeck-Sha.Ghodsi (M) d S.Forest-L.Forest, 8-5
3. Huang-Jones (M) d Bristol-Mannan, 8-0