With about a week to go in the regular season, all three YAIAA divisional leaders are closing in on chances to clinch regular-season titles.
For Northeastern, that opportunity could come Tuesday at West York. William Penn missed a chance to do the same in Division I at Central York. The Panthers' 75-64 win now means the Bearcats need another win combined with a Central loss to clinch. The defending Division I and league tournament champ, Central remains alive as long as it keeps winning. In Division III, Hanover pulled a little closer with its second win against York Catholic last week.
For a look at the entire league, which culminates with the YAIAA tournament beginning on Feb. 7 (click here for an explanation of tiebreakers), here are this week's power rankings:
1. Northeastern (17-0): The Bobcats bumped up to No. 3 in this week's District 3 power rankings for Class AAAA. Their big week includes a visit Tuesday to West York and home game Friday against Dover.
2. William Penn (14-4): A down-and-up weekend for the Bearcats started at Central York but finished strong in Reading. Beating then-No. 6 Plymouth-Whitemarsh at the Geigle Center gave the Bearcats an impressive victory against a state contender.
3. Central York (13-6): Senior guard Sam Saxton said following Friday's win vs. William Penn that he hopes the Panthers have righted ship, which comes just in time with the postseason nearing.
4. Hanover (15-1): On top of beating Division III contender York Catholic for a second time, Dylan Krieger became Hanover's all-time leading scorer Friday. It has been a season to remember for the Nighthawks.
5. West York (13-5): The Bulldogs pushed Bishop McDevitt, the district's top-ranked AAA team, into overtime during Saturday's YAIAA vs. Mid-Penn Showcase. If the snow holds off, their second meeting against Northeastern on Tuesday will provide a gauge as to just how far the 'Dogs have come. Last time, the Bobcats won in a blowout.
In contention: 6. Spring Grove (10-6), 7. Eastern York (11-6), 8. Red Lion (9-7), 9. Gettysburg (11-7), 10. Dover (10-8).