Last Saturday's Red Lion Showcase was indeed a showcase. All four YAIAA teams to participate are among the league's top teams. Those teams -- West York, Delone Catholic, New Oxford and Red Lion -- finished 2-2 in the annual event that included unbeaten Boyertown and Berks Catholic.
Now, transitioning into the next week, here's how the league stacks up as of Jan. 26:
1. West York (16-0): A 62-24 win against fellow District 3 Class AAA contender Fleetwood says a lot. The Tigers were sixth in the district ratings last week and this week dropped to eighth. The Bulldogs? They're still first and have four games this week, starting Tuesday with YAIAA Division II-rival Northeastern on the road. The gauntlet concludes Saturday when York Catholic visits West York.
2. York Catholic (15-2): Speaking of the Irish ... go ahead and call these rankings out for hyping up this weekend's matchup. York Catholic is playing as well as any team with recent victories against Delone Catholic and Dallastown. The 50-37 win Friday against Delone was enough to elevate the Irish back into the District 3 Class AA top spot.
3. Red Lion (13-4): The Lions' only Division I loss came against Central York while not at full strength. Between Red Lion and those Panthers, the top four teams in Division I enter this week separated by only 1 1/2 games.
4. Dallastown (13-5): A win Friday against New Oxford proved big for the Wildcats and hurt the Colonials, who suffered a second consecutive setback the next day vs. District 1 unbeaten Boyertown. As for the previously mentioned Division I league race, whichever team finishes fourth and misses the YAIAA tourney could benefit from time off entering the district tourney. Click here to see where the District 3 Class AAAA teams stand.
5. Delone Catholic (15-4): Berks Catholic, the No. 2 AAA team in the district, barely got by Gerry Eckenrode's Squirettes. At No. 2 in AA and with just one Division III loss, Delone is closing in on a league tourney berth.
In contention: 6. New Oxford (13-4), 7. Central York (14-4), 8. Northeastern (12-5), 9. York Suburban (13-5), 10. Biglerville (13-5).