It was quite a week for the West York boys' basketball team. The Bulldogs beat Dallastown at home, then knocked off Red Lion on the road Friday night. Both teams were in the top five of our preseason YAIAA power rankings.
Such a performance warrants a considerable climb. Here's an updated set of power rankings:
1. William Penn (4-0, previous rank: 1): An early signature win came on the second night of the season for the Bearcats, as Trey Shifflett's 3-pointer at the buzzer delivered a 71-69 victory against Reading (watch it below). Shifflett is just a sophomore, and so is leading scorer Kristopher Johnson (14.5 points through four games). This team has a nice mix of experience (point guard Stephen Dickson and forward Jahaire Wilson) with youth.
2. West York (4-0, PR: 9): If there was a trend with West York this week, it was second-half defense. The Bulldogs got past Dallastown because of it, then repeated the effort -- if not improved upon it -- with their convincing victory at Red Lion.
3. Dallastown (3-1, PR: 2): The Wildcats rebounded from that West York loss with a narrow win against Northeastern. Speaking of the Bobcats, only a pair of two-point losses have kept them from being in this spot.
4. Bermudian Springs (3-0, PR: 4): A game last Tuesday with Hanover would have been telling for both teams. However, it was postponed until Dec. 30.
5. Red Lion (3-1, PR: 5): York Suburban and Dover could go here, too. Red Lion's second half against West York could have been an aberration, so the Lions will stay put for now.
Keep an eye on: 6. York Suburban (3-1), 7. Dover (3-1), 8. Northeastern (2-2), 9. Central York (2-1), 10. Delone Catholic (2-2).