Don’t let the thermometer or the calendar fool you: Fall is here, and summer is over. Monday is the first day of practice for high school fall sports teams, and area athletes will take to the fields, courts and courses to start gearing up for the season.
Matt Goul has already been hard at work previewing each fall sport with a look at which teams, players and storylines to watch this season. In case you missed any of them, here's a recap:
- Girls' tennis: Serve's up for Susquehannock and defending YAIAA champ Katie Wagner.
- Golf: Big names return in all three divisions, including state champion Isaiah Logue of Fairfield.
- Girls' cross country: A slew of speedy sophomore runners are lacing up, including York Suburban's Olivia Gettle and Delone Catholic's Kate Mowrey.
- Boys' cross country: Who can slow Dallastown's Patrick Reilly? Perhaps Brady Wilt of Biglerville or Aaron Gebhart of New Oxford.
- Field hockey: The Dallastown-Red Lion backyard rivalry should provide some fireworks, as will the Bermudian Springs-Biglerville clash.
- Girls' volleyball: Delone Catholic looks to repeat its postseason success.
- Boys' soccer: Division I frontrunners Central York, South Western and Dallastown all bring back some big names. But don't ignore Susquehannock, York Suburban and Biglerville.
- Girls' soccer: With many returning stars, defending champ Dover is poised for continued success.
- Football: Download the free GameTimePA digital preview magazine for iPads to see a preseason all-star team, video Q&As with players, a team page for every York-Adams team, schedules, stats, five-year trends and more.
We’ll be covering the first day of practice today, too, with reporters and photographers heading out across the YAIAA. Check in with GameTimePA.com to see who’s breaking a sweat as practices get under way.