Hempfield seniors make their collegiate plans
Hempfield had its National Signing Day ceremony early on Thursday in which over 20 seniors officially announced where they will continue their playing careers. Some of the more notable signings included Jonathan Corbett heading to Minnesota to swim, Joey Goodhart choosing to wrestle at Drexel, Anna Wenger heading to Akron for volleyball and Sarah Helgeson (field hockey) and Drew Skundrich (soccer) both heading across the country to Stanford.
Goodhart, who committed to Drexel in the first week of October, was happy the signing day finally arrived.
“It's just a weight lifted off my shoulders and I can enjoy the rest of my senior year after all these hard years of work,” he said.
Drexel is a Division-I wrestling program located in Philadelphia that competes in the Colonial Athletic Association along with such schools as Boston University, George Mason and Hofstra.
Another notable signing was wide receiver Tyrell Wickersham committing to Stevenson. As of January, Stevenson wasn’t in Wickersham’s top three but his decision to become a Mustang will reunite him with Hempfield QB Mike Edwards who also committed to Stevenson. The Edwards-Wickersham connection accounted for 33 receptions for 598 yards this season.
"Mike is the one that told me about Stevenson and said I'd love it there," Wickersham said. "He really had no impact on my decision but once I made my decision, it was nice knowing I was going with a friend. I went there for a day visit and absolutely loved it. Met the guys on the team, and they were my type of guys. I can see myself playing with them the next few years."
Stevenson began its football program is 2011 and competes in the NCAA Division III's Middle Atlantic Conference.
"The football program is up and coming. I want to be apart of their building years," Wickersham said. "Coach Hottle has a plan and I believe in it. It'll be a great fit."
Here are all of Hempfield’s signings.
- Tommy Bennett, Wrestling- American
- Jonathan Corbett, Swimming- Minnesota
- Brianna Digilio, Swimming,-Towson
- Blair Duscha, Lacrosse- Widner
- Cullen Dussinger, Lacrosse- Dennison
- Michael Edwards, Football- Stevenson
- Jenna Foltz, Field Hockey- Kutztown
- Joey Goodhart, Wrestling- Drexel
- Nick Griffith, Lacrosse- Elizabethtown
- Sarah Helgeson, Field Hockey- Stanford
- Kate Hohman, Softball- Cabrini College
- Hayden Miller, Lacrosse- Roanoke
- Danielle Poletti, Track- Mount Saint Mary’s
- Lyndsy Shaubach, Softball- Messiah College
- Tanner Unger, Football- Monmouth
- Anna Wenger, Volleyball- Akron
- Zach Wentzel, Lacrosse- Roanoke
- Zach Winfield, Lacrosse-Delaware Valley
- Drew Skundrich, Soccer- Stanford
- Eliza Donohue, Volleyball- Carnegie Mellon
- Tyrell Wickersham, Football, Stevenson