Winter storm forecast freezes PIAA sports schedule
PennDOT plow trucks at the Marion garage get ready on Monday, March 13, 2017 for Winter Storm Stella.
A winter storm expected to hit Pennsylvania has put the freeze on PIAA championship events this week.
There will be no PIAA swimming or basketball postseason events Tuesday or Wednesday.
The PIAA swimming championships had been scheduled for Wednesday through Saturday at Bucknell University. And the second round of the PIAA basketball tournament was to be held Tuesday and Wednesday at high schools across the state.
With concerns about safety and potential travel restrictions, the governing body for Pennsylvania high school sports determined that the four-day championships in Lewisburg, which originally were slated to start Wednesday, should be pushed until Thursday.
Not only is the schedule being affected, but PIAA officials have been forced to make drastic changes to the entire championship competition. There will be no preliminary swims for Class AA and AAA.
Instead of morning prelims, followed later in the day by medal and consolation finals, all swimming events will be timed finals.
To allow athletes proper warm-up, the Class AA girls competition will begin at 4 p.m. Thursday. The Class AA boys will follow at 7:30 p.m.
The second day will begin for the girls at 10:45 a.m. Friday. The boys will hit the water at 3:30 p.m.
Class AAA will now take place over the entire weekend, starting Saturday with the girls timed finals at 3:15 p.m. and the boys at 7 p.m.
The final day will have the girls starting competition at 10:45 a.m. Sunday, with the boys following at 3:30 p.m.
Also, the PIAA diving championships, which usually take place between each day's preliminary and finals swimming sessions, have been postponed until March 25-26. They also will be held at Bucknell.
The Class AA girls will dive at 3 p.m. on March 25, followed by the boys at 7:30 p.m. Class AAA divers will follow the same schedule on March 26.
The entire second round of the PIAA basketball tournament will be played on Thursday, and all of the quarterfinals will be played Saturday.
That change has altered some second-round locations. Click here to see the brackets with updated sites and times.
Here's a rundown of second-round sites and times for District 3 teams.
- CD East vs. Archbishop Ryan, 6 p.m. at Garden Spot
- Hempfield vs. Williamsport, 8 p.m. at Martz Hall, Pottsville
- Reading vs. Perkiomen Valley, 8 p.m. at Santander Arena, Reading
- Harrisburg vs. Emmaus, 8 p.m. at Geigle Complex, Reading
- Carlisle vs. Lincoln, 7:30 p.m. at Garden Spot
- Northeastern vs. Upper Merion, 7:30 p.m. at Manheim Township
- Spring Grove vs. East Stroudsburg North, 6:30 p.m. at Martz Hall, Pottsville
- Palmyra vs. Archbishop Carroll, 5 p.m. at Geigle Complex, Reading
- Mechanicsburg vs. Archbishop Wood, 8 p.m. at Pottstown
- Hershey vs. Chester, 5 p.m. at Pottstown
- Berks Catholic vs. Audenried, 8 p.m. at Spring-Ford, Royersford
- Middletown vs. Greater Johnstown, 7:30 p.m. at Chambersburg
- Lancaster Mennonite vs. Hughesville, 5 p.m. at Martz Hall, Pottsville
- Trinity vs. Del-Val Charter, 8 p.m. at Liberty, Bethlehem
- York Country Day vs. Millville, 5 p.m. at Hamburg
- Central York vs. Cardinal O'Hara, 6:30 p.m. at Santander Arena, Reading
- Cedar Cliff vs. Penn Hills, 8 p.m. at Hollidaysburg
- Susquehannock vs. New Oxford, 7 p.m. at West York
- Harrisburg vs. Archbishop Carroll, 6:30 p.m. at Geigle Complex, Reading
- Northern Lebanon vs. Mifflinburg, 6 p.m. at Shamokin
- Berks Catholic vs. Bethlehem Catholic, 6 p.m. at Souderton
- Bishop McDevitt vs. Montoursville, 7:30 p.m. at Shamokin
- Lancaster Catholic vs. Forest Hills, 6 p.m. at Chambersburg
- York Catholic vs. Pine Grove, 7:30 p.m. at Spartan Center, Milton Hershey
- Delone Catholic vs. West Shamokin, 5 p.m. at Hollidaysburg
- Camp Hill vs. Greensburg CC, 6:30 p.m. at Hollidaysburg
- Lebanon Catholic vs. Faith Christian, 6 p.m. at Tulpehocken, Bernville
- Linden Hall vs. Nativity BVM, 7:30 p.m. at Tulpehocken, Bernville
- Tuesday night's YAIAA wrestling senior all-star wrestling match has been canceled. It will not be rescheduled.
- Boys tennis matches on Tuesday - State College at Chambersburg, and James Buchanan at Trinity - were postponed. The Chambersburg match is now set for March 22, while JB's has no date yet. Also, Chambersburg's match on Thursday at Lower Dauphin has been moved to this Friday.