GameTimePA regional Athletes of the Week 2016-17
Each week, GameTimePA.com selects a set of regional Athletes of the Week who have earned a special tip of the cap.
The GameTimePA winners are selected from the pool of honorees chosen by each of GameTimePA's regions. The overall winners are announced by Wednesday for the previous week's performance.
Here's a list of the winners from 2016-17:
Week ending Dec. 23
- Female Athlete of the Week: Alexis Hill, Lebanon Catholic basketball. Hill averaged 15.5 points in two key wins over county rivals Northern Lebanon and Elco that helped keep the Beavers in an early tie for first place in Section 3.
- Male Athlete of the Week: Chase Novak, McConnellsburg basketball. Novak shocked his home crowd Thursday night, putting up a career-high of 36 points to score his 1,000th point of his career in the last 40 seconds of a Sideling Hill League/ Inter-County Conference win over Tussey Mountain. He also had 12 rebounds and two steals. Novak's previous career high was 27.
Week ending Nov. 5
- Football Athlete of the Week: Kyle Knight, Elco. In the final game of his career, senior quarterback Knight led Elco to a 28-27 win at Pequea Valley, rushing for 227 yards on 31 carries and scoring three TDs, while also completing 11 of 22 passes for 100 yards and another score
- Female Athlete of the Week: Taryn Parks, Greencastle-Antrim girls cross country. One week after winning the District 3 gold medal, Parks, just a freshman, earned the victory in the PIAA Class 2A Cross Country Championships. She finished in 18:56..
- Male Athlete of the Week: Jared Dotsen-Jones, Biglerville soccer. Scored twice in the first half against Lancaster Mennonite as the Canners advanced to Saturday's District 3 Class 2A championship game in Hershey.
Week ending Oct. 15
- Football Athlete of the Week: Bryan Downey, Lancaster Catholic. The Lancaster Catholic QB scored six total touchdowns in a 45-0 win over Pequea Valley. Downey ran for three scores, threw for two more and caught a touchdown pass on a gadget play.
- Female Athlete of the Week: Annville-Cleona field hockey team. A-C clinched its first section title in 44 years on Wednesday, wrapping up the Section 3 championship with a 3-0 win over Elco. Morgan Zimmerman, Emily Brightbill and Katelyn Brightbill all scored for A-C in the win.
- Male Athlete of the Week: Mikell McGee, Fannett-Metal boys soccer: McGee racked up 16 goals in a 4-0 week for the Tigers. His best game was a six-goal performance against Northern Bedford, and he now has 36 goals on the season and 97 for his career.
Week ending Oct. 9
- Football Athlete of the Week: Eric Hopkins, Solanco. Hopkins had a career night, rushing for 368 yards and five touchdowns in Solanco's 41-33 win over Lampeter-Strasburg to retain the Milk Jug Trophy.
- Female Athlete of the Week: Emily Schuler, Dallastown cross country. The freshman finished first overall 19:34.26 in a meet with York Catholic at York Suburban on Wednesday. Dallastown placed five runners in the top 10 as the Wildcats snapped York Suburban's dual meet winning streak that dated back to 2007.
- Male Athlete of the Week: Karsen Rush, Chambersburg golf. Rush placed second at the District 3 Class 3A championships, finishing with a total of 6-under. He shot rounds of 69 and 69 at Briarwood East.
Week ending Oct. 2
- Football Athlete of the Week: Carl Reigle, Palmyra. Reigle scored in all three phases of the game in Palmyra's 41-19 win vs. Boiling Springs. He had a 27-yard punt return, 20-yard run from scrimmage and a 21-yard interception return.
- Female Athlete of the Week: Emma Deberdine, Penn Manor field hockey. DeBerdine scored all four of her team’s goals as the Comets cruised past perennial power Lower Dauphin, 4-0, Monday night.
- Male Athlete of the Week: Joe Parrini, Central York golf: He carded a 1-over par 73 Wednesday at Briarwood Golf Course to help the Panthers to the YAIAA team championship and a District 3 team berth. It was the second straight YAIAA team title for Central York.
Week ending Sept. 25
- Football Athlete of the Week: Jake Novak, Manheim Central. In the final 4:18 of the first half vs Lampeter-Strasburg, Novak caught three touchdown passes from Kody Kegarise and also intercepted a pass on defense. Altogether, Novak caught 6 balls for 130 yards and three touchdowns.
- Female Athlete of the Week: Tyana Quivers, James Buchanan girls volleyball. Through four matches this week, Quivers led the team with 55 total kills, and also had 34 digs, 21 aces and seven blocks. Of her 55 kills, 21 came against Middletown in a narrow non-league victory, and she had 14 of her 21 aces in a 3-0 sweep of Steel High.
- Male Athlete of the Week: Andrew Forjan, York Catholic. Carded a 72 in Thursday's YAIAA Division III meet at South Hills as the Irish won all five matches.
Week ending Sept. 18
- Football Athlete of the Week: Kyle Knight, Elco. Knight led Elco to a 29-26 victory at Fleetwood on Friday night. The senior quarterback ran 18 times for 112 yards and threw for three touchdowns in the win, his best performance since missing most of last season with a torn ACL.
- Female Athlete of the Week: Taryn Parks, Greencastle-Antrim cross country. Parks won the Class 2A race during the Bulldog Invitational for her first big high school invitational win. She crossed the line more than 10 seconds before the next female finisher.
- Male Athlete of the Week: Carter Luckenbaugh, Central York soccer: Luckenbaugh scored all three goals during Central's 3-2 win at Northern York on Friday.
Week ending Sept. 11
- Football Athlete of the Week: Grant Stoltzfus, Conestoga Valley: The senior QB went 14-of-19 for 261 yards and three touchdowns in the Buckskins' 46-20 win over Solanco.
- Female Athlete of the Week: Alli Lynn, Palmyra tennis: Lynn captured the Cougars' first singles crown in the annual Lebanon County tournament since 2000 with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Cedar Crest's Keeley Hartman.
- Male Athlete of the Week: Zach Dixon, Eastern York golf: The senior carded a 77 for the low round Tuesday during a YAIAA Division II match at Pleasant Valley and followed that up with a low round of 72 on Thursday during a Division II event at Honey Run.
Week ending Sept. 4
- Football Player of the Week: Tate Seyfert, Cedar Crest. The senior scored three touchdowns in the Falcons' 26-14 victory against Lebanon in the annual Cedar Bowl. It was Cedar Crest's fifth straight victory in the series.