The Trojans are one of three teams competing in the silver division, along with Hopewell and Altoona, on Saturday at 1 p.m.
Chambersburg coach Michelle Jones said, "I was very surprised to see how many teams were in bronze (eight). With only two other teams in our division, we're going to have to buckle down to finish well. I told the girls that they have to really want it."
The Trojans' unexpected time off occurred last weekend, when the South Central Pa. Championships - scheduled to be held at Bedford High School on Friday - were canceled because of the wintry weather.
"A lot of schools had Friday off, so we would've had to move the meet to Saturday," Jones said. "That made it more difficult, especially with having to get judges on short notice. So it was decided that we would not have the meet."
Chambersburg had already qualified as a team in the silver division, so the cancellation of the district meet did not affect its seeding. The Trojans will have seven girls competing:
- Aubrey Hammond, senior captain, qualified in the silver division in all but bars.
- Rebecca Colbert, senior, qualified all-around in the bronze division.
- Darranique Burhanan-Barbour, senior, qualified all-around in gold division.
- Bethany Paszkowski, senior, qualified in bronze in the vault.
- Sammi Lowery, sophomore, qualified all-around in gold.
- Abbi Zeger, freshman, qualified all-around in bronze.
Jones said, "We'll be facing tough competition, some good competition. Whoever walks away with this will be well-deserving."
Waynesboro is among the eight teams competing in the bronze division. The others: Hanover, Bedford, St. Marys, DuBois, South Side Beaver, Bellefonte and Ridgway.
Two teams are competing in
Last season, Chambersburg won the South Central Pa. championship and finished second in the gold division at states.
Joe Kroepil can be reached at 262-4749 and firstname.lastname@example.org.